Dunwich – England's Lost Medieval Port
Dunwich · Dommoc · Dunwic
Anglo-Saxon to Late Medieval (630 – 1350 CE)·Anglo-Saxon / East Anglian / Norman English·🇬🇧 Suffolk, East Anglia, United Kingdom
About
About Dunwich – England's Lost Medieval Port
Once England's equal to London (Domesday: 3,000 souls), Dunwich was the capital of the Kingdom of East Anglia (Sigeberht's Dommoc monastery 630 CE, St Felix 630×633) and a Hanse-adjacent herring port with harbour estuary of the Blyth-Dunwich River. Successive catastrophic storms from 1286–1328 (St Lucia floods), 1362 Grote Mandrenke, and 16th–17th c. erosion severed its spit and drowned eight parish churches and the Franciscan/Greyfriars friary. All Saints church fell off the cliff 1910–1922; radar, dive sonar and SMA mapping in Dunwich Bank now trace—at –3 m to –12 m—the 13th-century quay road, ballast mounds and Greyfriars precinct.
The pottery kiln horizon and 14th-century German stone mortars prove international trade to Iceland and the Baltic. Historic England scheduled monument; ongoing SCEPS project laser-scans cliff collapse.
Why it mattersPremier British case for medieval coastal climate abandonment; Britain's 'Atlantis' analogue showing storm-coupled estuary loss and urban forced migration.
Open questions
Mysteries & theories
Mysteries
- 01Exact position of Dommoc (Dunwich vs Walton vs Felixstowe vs Rendlesham)
- 02Whether Blyth estuary spit breach alone caused harbour death or trade shift to Southwold
Theories
- 011286–1362 storms as coupled North Sea seiche-High Medieval Warm Period storm surge cluster
- 02Ballast mounds trace Hanseatic cogs trading Icelandic stockfish for Suffolk wool
Theories are interpretations, not findings. The seal above tells you how much scholarly weight the place carries.
History
How it came to be
- Built
- c. 630 CE (Dommoc monastery of St Felix)
- Period
- Anglo-Saxon to Late Medieval (630 – 1350 CE)
- Culture
- Anglo-Saxon / East Anglian / Norman English
- Purpose
- Royal capital, ecclesiastical centre, herring staple port and wool staple for Hanse grain exchange
- Abandoned
- 1350–1600 progressive abandonment after 1328 & 1362 storm destructions
- Rediscovered
- c. 2008–2010 Southampton / Suffolk SMA sonar survey
- Excavation
- Submerged
630 CE
Sigeberht founds Dommoc monastery, seat of St Felix bishopric
1086
Domesday: Dunwich holds greatest taxed population in East Anglia
1286–1287
Great storm breaches spit, harbour silts, river diverted to Walberswick
1328 & 1362
Storms destroy >400 houses; town votes to move to new quay at Blyth
2008–2013
Stein's Dunwich Project and SMA multibeam map submerged street grid offshore
On the ground
Structures & features
52.2806° N · 1.6242° E · -2 m · 3 mapped features
Greyfriars Priory submerged precinct
friaryFranciscan friary ruins visible on Dunwich Bank at –8 m
52.2790° N · 1.6220° EAll Saints cliff fall site
churchAll Saints last church, collapsed 1922, cliff edge trace
52.2810° N · 1.6280° EDunwich Bank sonar quay
harbour13th-century harbour road and ballast mounds on multibeam
52.2770° N · 1.6150° E
Gallery